Too Windy to Fly, Broken Props and Autogyros

It’s much too windy to fly today as we’re just south of all the bad weather. I’m sure this is because of the weather data viewer I’ve been writing for Google Maps, but this is what it looks like this morning:

Meo Office Datapoint synoptic data showing win d speeds for 12 April 2015 at 10Z (11am local time, BST)

Met Office Datapoint synoptic data showing wind speeds for 12 April 2015 at 10Z (11am local time, BST)

The map shows the winds in London as about 20 knots and this is only 11am local time. By 12pm, as I write this, it seems to be getting worse.

Anyway, that means I’ve had some time to do some building. I fixed the broken prop on my RS352 yesterday so the glue had a good 24 hours to set before flying. It’s just that the flying bit hasn’t happened yet because of the weather.

The front of the RS352 all fixed. Note the 45 degree scar in the black foam on the right hand side of the picture

The front of the RS352 all fixed. Note the 45 degree scar in the black foam on the right hand side of the picture

Now I’ve had a chance to investigate the damage a bit more, I’ve revised my previous conclusions as to what took a bite out of the prop. Initially I thought it was the carbon undercarriage, but I now think it was the fibreglass motor mount that did the damage. When I was glueing the black foam with epoxy, I was surprised just how deep the propeller cut had penetrated. It probably went about 15mm back into the foam, with the corner of the aircraft’s lower, or left side fibreglass motor mount taking the bite out of the prop as it went past. There was also quite a bit of cut damage to the lower fuselage behind the motor mount. This was all fixed using 24 hour epoxy and some thin scrap wood which enabled me to get right into the propeller cut and get the glue into where it was most needed.

The ATOM parts with the new C30 rotor head and fibreglass parts

The ATOM parts with the new C30 rotor head and fibreglass parts

The ATOM build has resumed now that I’ve given in and ordered myself a C30 rotor head. I got these from CoolWind, as suggested in the RCM&E plan. The service was excellent as I placed the order on Thursday evening and was saying hello to the postman with the box on Saturday morning. It’s also quite cheap as, for about £20, I got the rotor head, triangular plate and fibreglass parts for the ATOM.

One really important thing to note is that the rotor head is actually delivered assembled upside down. I wouldn’t have known except for reading the build thread on modelflying.co.uk:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=98774&p=3

Also, looking at other people building the autogyro, I seem to be going extremely slowly, so I need to speed up a bit. To this end, I’m going to order some pre-made blade blanks today, plus the motor and all the other equipment I need, so then I will have everything I need to complete it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s