Remembrance Sunday 2016

It’s Remembrance Sunday this week, so what we usually do is to put an aircraft up and wait until we hear the cannon. Not having a Spitfire or Hurricane (or Tempest), I had to resort to flying a Taylorcraft.


The weather was perfect, with lots of sun, no wind and not at all cold. I had one flight with my RS352, then the Taylorcraft, followed by a Hobby King Bixler (EasyStar clone). The Bixler had an issue with its flaps not being connected to anything, causing them to flap around on their own. After the owner had flown it, he asked me to have a fly to see if I thought it was behaving oddly. Not surprisingly, the free flaps were causing it to fly in a rather erratic fashion. It was flyable, but you had to constantly correct it. Also, he didn’t tell me until afterwards, but he had the rudder trim and aileron trim on opposite sticks. I had been feeding in right aileron during the flight, which was actually right rudder. I can honestly say that I’ve never seen that type of setup before and can’t think why on earth you would do it. He said that the idea was to be able to trim it without taking your hands off the sticks, but it’s just confusing. I also did a dive test to determine the centre of gravity, which turned out to be round about neutral. It didn’t quite tuck under in the dive, but it sure wasn’t stable, so we suggested adding nose ballast until he’s comfortable with the flying characteristics. Thinking back, I did fly one of these a few months ago which was very tail heavy and was a real handful to fly. It must just be down to the kits. As for the flaps, I suggested he put the hinges in and glue them so they can’t move. There are cutouts and horn positions if you want to add flaps, but apparently no instructions or obvious way of fixing them if you don’t.

After that I had three more flights with the RS352. In between all of this, there was a guy with a drone filming a keep fit group. He was interesting to talk to as he’s just got his permission for aerial work. Talking to him, he said it was really easy to get and just required a lot of paperwork and a flight test. Near the end of the morning a family turned up with a white Piper Cub (see picture). The older kid was actually quite good at flying it, but it’s the little one launching that got me. The picture shows him having just thrown it into the sky.

We also had the EFlite advance and, just as I was leaving, another guy turned up with a flying wing. I only saw it flying from a distance, but, given the small holdall it came out of and the FPV kit, it may well have been a Bormatec Ninox?

I’m back to building micro drones now, when I really want to be finishing the AutoGyro. You can see the parts I’ve just had delivered above. I’ve got two sets of F3 EVO Brushed flight controllers and the generic FrSky receiver that the Eachine QX90 drone uses. I’ve also got four sets of our modified HubSan quads with 3D printed frames repaired and ready. This is for the “Drones Masterclass” that we’re running at the end of the month. The parts above are intended for an FPV micro drone that we’re going to try running a 3D reconstruction from.

Here’s an example I captured of the ATOM autogyro:

Here’s a link in case the 123d Catch embedding doesn’t work: [ATOM Autogyro]

Hopefully there’s going to be more on this project later.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s