Lost Props and Binding Problems

It was another perfect day this morning and there was already a DJI Inspire being flown when I arrived. Apparently the guy with the Mavic from last week had already been and gone, but it does look like the binding problems I’ve been having with my RS352 aren’t related to interference.

We had quite a busy morning with the Multiplex Heron, Fly Baby, Corsair, UMX Pitts biplane (see pictures) and an own design foam board flying wing that fitted into a ruck sack for carrying by bike. Finally, the family from last week with the free flight glider came back with it fixed, plus a 10 foot tow-line.

Now, it appears that my binding problems aren’t being caused by the Mavic as I thought last week, because, on flight three, the problem resurfaced. I connected the LiPo and, instead of the immediate radio link and green light on the receiver, it just showed red and refused to work. Having fiddled with all the connections for a bit and switched it off and on multiple times, I gave up and walked away. A little later with all the same equipment it just worked. Very strange.

Flight three turned out to be quite eventful as I lost the prop part way through the flight. It’s all those vertical manoeuvres and the prop hub must be a bit old and worn now, so I should really replace it, or at least use some thread lock. I saw it come off, but wasn’t sure it was the prop as I thought I could still see it on the aircraft, so I brought it down immediately while working out that the controls still functioned normally. Anyway, my spatial awareness is still very good as I walked out to where the prop came off and was able to find it almost immediately. This time there doesn’t appear to be any damage to the aircraft, because, last time this happened about a year ago, the prop sliced a bit out of the motor mounting foam and then went on to strike the carbon undercarriage. The aircraft still has the scars on the nose to prove it.

So, once I had checked everything out, flight three and a half took place to use up the 50% still remaining in the pack. Then flight four followed immediately afterwards. I didn’t push the aircraft with anything that would stress the prop hub this time, just some lazy aerobatics.

That’s it for this week, except that I’m still tinkering around with 3D printing a micro quadcopter to fly indoors. This is to put my F3 EVO flight controller in to so that I can compare to the modified HubSan kit I was flying before.

The pictures show some of the bits I’ve printed so far, but I’m not having a lot of success. The printer just isn’t reliable enough to print the whole frame, so I’ve ended up with lots of bits that I’m going to have to glue together to make a sort of hybrid. I might just go back to my original idea and try to design a kit that doesn’t require a 3D printer. We’ll have to see how it turns out, but I really like the idea of making flying machines out of junk.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s