I was making good progress building my autogyro last week, up until the point where my solarfilm iron packed up.
It must be over 20 years old, so I can’t really complain. I bought it at Sandown Park all those years ago and have been using it ever since. I spent the whole week trying to fix it, but I think one of the power wires is broken and I can’t figure out how to get the wiring out of the handle. I’ve removed the screw, but it looks like it’s glued inside. Oh, well, if I can’t do anything with it today then I’ll have to go out and buy a new one.
You can see from the pictures above that I’ve got the bottom and both fuselage sides covered and had just started on the top of the nose when the iron gave up the ghost. I’ve just got the nose, the fin outer sides and the trim to finish, then the new blade. I was almost there and then I got stuck, so I’m going to push on and fit any of the equipment that I can while I work out the covering situation.
As for the weather this week, it’s a beautiful bright and sunny day, just with a 30+ mph wind and sub-zero temperatures. I haven’t flown any real aircraft for ages.