Funny Old Weather



I was close to not going out this morning. The anemometer on the building over the back from us was spinning round like a mad thing and brought in a load of dark looking clouds. Then all was calm and sunny again, so I decided to risk it. In the picture above, you can see the RS352’s left wheel isn’t on the ground. It’s not propped up on the flight box, that’s the wind doing that and I’ve had to restrain it from taking off on its own. Needless to say, the conditions were quite challenging to fly this morning.

There was already a mini F27 Stryker being unloaded from an electric bike when I arrived this morning. We never even got it out of its box, though, that’s how windy it was. Actually, it’s more correct to say gusty, because, one moment it was clam, then next minute blowing a gale. The wind was blustery and all over the place. We had a lovely chat with a lady on a horse while the wind was doing its thing to stop us flying. Next up, we had a couple of guys arrive with some FPV fixed wing aircraft. You can see a couple in the background of the picture above. I don’t really like FPV aircraft, whether they’re drones or fixed wing, because all they want to do is fly on their own without a spotter and out of range and close to things they shouldn’t because they want to capture some good HD video. They both got told off by a runner for flying outside the limits of the field. Good.

The only other flying this morning was a young boy and his family who had three drones: an AR drone (dead battery), a bigger lightweight one that I didn’t recognise (too light in the wind, not enough control and flat battery) and a 100mm size Revell one (trim way out, dud battery). His father was the only person I’ve ever seen arrive following an OS map. It was all a bit stressful as they couldn’t get anything to work, so I asked whether he would mind me having a go of his bigger one? It was weird to fly, all automatic, so you push the take-off button, fly, then push the land button. It wouldn’t tilt enough to cope with the wind, so all it was ever going to do was drift downwind. The battery wouldn’t get it more than 2 foot high either. I also had a go of his Revell one, but the battery was dead on that too. That was a shame, as I would have expected it to fly like the little HubSans, which we were always flying in completely unsuitable conditions, just like today.

As for my own flying, the first flight with the RS352 was fine, then on the second the wind was crazy. On flight three, I would have sworn that there was something wrong with the aircraft, landing with the expectation of finding a locked aileron. To be fair, on the first two flights I felt that the trim was out as it was wanting to fly with it’s nose in the air, but the conditions were very bad. On flight four, I still felt that the aircraft wasn’t right. It was as if things weren’t reacting as fast as they should be, or I was getting interference problems with the radio locking out. I do wonder whether this was anything to do with our two FPV friends who were using UHF 433MHz for control and mentioned something about 2.4GHz video, plus a switch for high gain? Who knows what power output they were using, but I’m going to continue using my Futaba FASST system which has always proved itself completely reliable? Time to invest in a radio monitor I think. Let’s hope for better weather next week.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s